The Jerusalem Biblical Zoo was originally a tiny zoo on Rehov Harav Kook in central Jerusalem, established in 1940 by zoologist Prof. Aharon Shulov. The zoo was moved several times until 1993 when it was relocated to its current location in the Manhat (Malcha) area in southwest Jerusalem. Today, the zoo sits on 62 acres, and there are plans to expand it by another 37 acres to the west. 



The zoo is home to a large number of animal species. In 2009, it had 271 different species: 60 fish species, 68 mammal species, 28 reptile species, 11 amphibian species and 104 bird species. Many new species were introduced only recently, as the zoo’s collection has grown from 208 species in 2007; to 237 in 2008; and to 271 in 2009.  The number of animals in the zoo in 2009 was 2,200.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The number of visitors to the Jerusalem Biblical Zoo has also seen a steady rise in recent years. According to Dun & Bradstreet Israel, the Jerusalem Biblical Zoo was the most popular tourist attraction in the country between 2005 and 2007. In 2008, the three most popular tourist attractions in Israel were the Masada National Park (with 720,000 visitors), the Caesarea National Park (715,000 visitors) and the Jerusalem Biblical Zoo (687,000 visitors). In 2009, the volume of visitors to the Jerusalem Biblical Zoo grew even more, with the zoo hosting a record 738,000 visitors.


www.jiis.org
Relevant to your professional network? Please share on Linkedin

Think others should know about this? Please share