Anger after police escort mother and son from school

June 24, 2009 14:53
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A furor has broken out after a Tel Aviv elementary school called in police to remove an 11-year-old boy who came to school despite having been suspended for two days for misbehavior, reports The boy's family is now considering suing the school, with a lawyer saying the child and his mother were treated "like dangerous criminals." According to the report, the boy, a student at the Tel Hai elementary school, was recently suspended for two days for throwing erasers. But the following day he went to school as usual, and his mother was called to go there and take him home. When she arrived at the school gate, the security guard refused to allow her in, and soon afterwards a policeman arrived, who escorted her in and then escorted her and the boy out. The mother said she had not been notified of the suspension beforehand. The report said that last week, the mother's lawyer wrote to the school, to the municipal Education Department and to Mayor Ron Huldai seeking explanations for the police presence. The letter said the boy had been suspended a number of times, for no apparent educational purpose and without his parents being notified in writing as was required, and that this was a breach of his rights to education and to respect. The letter said that bringing in police to remove the boy from school, in full view of other students and teachers, was a "serious and prominent" breach of his right to dignity and was in conflict with educational values. "It is peculiar in our eyes why school management chose to treat this student and his mother like dangerous criminals who were incapable of leaving the school by themselves, without a police escort," the letter said. It added that the family was now considering legal action. An Education Ministry spokesman said the family's version was "distorted" and the boy had been suspended not just for throwing erasers but also for violence. The spokesman said the mother had begun shouting when she arrived at the school, and this was why police had been called.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

JERUSALEM: RESETTLED upon its desolation
December 19, 2010
Vying for control of the Temple Mount – on Foursquare