6 mortar shells, multiple rockets from Gaza hit Negev

Attacks on southern Israel continue at escalated pace following Hamas threats to unleash a wave of terror in hopes of derailing peace talks.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
September 15, 2010 13:31
2 minute read.
A Palestinian Islamic Jihad man holds a rocket

Rocket carried by terrorist 311. (photo credit: Associated Press)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A stream of mortar and rocket fire from the Gaza Strip continued to rain down on southern Israel on Wednesday in an apparent Hamas attempt to fulfill threats of violence meant to derail Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.

A total of six mortar shells and as many as three Kassam-type rockets hit areas bordering Gaza in the latest barrage, which began in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
IAF bombs Gaza after Rosh Hashana Kassam attacks
10th rocket hits South since High Holidays began


Four mortar shells were fired into southern Israel  around midday on Wednesday, landing in the Eshkol Regional Council area. No injuries or damage were reported.

A Code Red alarm sounded in the same area about an hour after the mortar attacks, followed by a loud explosion, believed to be a Kassam-type rocket. No one was injured in the attack.

Earlier on Wednesday two mortar shells fired from the Gaza Strip landed in the same area, injuring no one.

Two rockets were fired from Gaza several hours before the mortar attacks. A Kassam-type rocket exploded south of Ashkelon, causing no injuries or damage. Security forces were searching for the location of the second rocket.

On Tuesday, one Palestinian was killed and at least four were wounded after the IDF returned fire in response to a terrorist attack in the northern Gaza Strip.

The IDF said that a force operating near the fence came under anti-tank fire and responded with tank shells and light gunfire. One of the terrorists was killed and four others were wounded.



Ahmed Jaabari, leader of Hamas’ military wing, issued a rare statement threatening a wave of violence intended to derail the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian peace talks on Tuesday.

On Sunday, three Palestinians were killed after one of them picked up an RPG found in a field near the security fence and aimed it at nearby IDF troops. Two of those killed – a 91-yearold man and his grandson – were later identified by the IDF as innocent civilians who were not involved in terrorist activity.

Rocket attacks from Gaza have increased since before the Rosh Hashana holiday. Predictions in the defense establishment are that Hamas will continue to carry out attacks against Israel as the peace talks progress.

Commander of the Gaza Division Brig.-Gen. Eyal Eisenberg said that the IDF held Hamas responsible.

“The Gaza Strip is controlled by Hamas, which is a terrorist organization,” he said. “Hamas is in control of the territory and we hold it responsible for what happens in the Strip.”

Related Content

Mohammad Javad Zarif
August 19, 2018
Iran says U.S. 'action group' will fail to overthrow state

By REUTERS