(photo credit: Courtesy)
There are no Scud missiles in Lebanon, Lebanese army commander Gen. Jean Kahwaji said on Saturday, denying allegations voiced last week that Syria had transferred ballistic missiles to Hizbullah.
In comments published in Lebanon’s Al-Nahar daily and communicated by Reuters, Kahwaji, who met earlier in the day with Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit, said Scuds were far less mobile than Katyusha rockets and much less likely to be brought across the border undetected.
“The process of transporting them is not a game, it’s a very big operation... The rockets are 30 meters long, are carried on large vehicles, and need 40 minutes to prepare for launch, Kahwaji was quoted as saying. “I’m convinced there are no Scuds in Lebanon and talk about the issue is political.”
Gheit, who met with Kahwaji in Beirut, reportedly said later that “whoever knows about these rockets knows that these [allegations] are all laughable lies.”
Two weeks ago, Kuwait’s Al-Rai newspaper reported that Syria had transferred Scud ballistic missiles to Hizbullah. Israel subsequently issued a stern warning that it would consider attacking both Syrian and Lebanese targets in response to a Scud attack on its territory.
Lebanon’s Western-backed Prime Minister Sa’ad Hariri denied the
allegations, comparing them to the American charges that Iraq had
weapons of mass destruction ahead of the 2003 US-led invasion.
Several days ago, however, the chairwoman of the US Senate’s
Intelligence Committee warned that there was a “high likelihood” that
Hizbullah had acquired Scuds.
“The rockets and missiles in Lebanon are substantially increased and
better technologically than they were, and this is a real point of
danger for Israel,” Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California told Agence
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>