IDF soldiers near Gaza border 311 (R).
(photo credit: REUTERS/Amir Cohen)
Egypt forbade Israel from launching a large-scale operation in the Gaza Strip following last week's terror attacks in the South, Egypt's envoy to the Palestinian territories said in an interview with Palestinian news agency Ma'an on Wednesday.
RELATED:US congressman: Israel owes Turkey no apologyUS lawmaker: Aid to Egypt depends on peace with Israel
“The Egyptian side has felt after the Eilat operation that Israel intends to [get] revenge,” Ma'an quoted Yasser Othman as saying.
Othman claimed that Egypt told Israel that it would not allow an
operation to take place and Israel heeded the warning because of fear of
the Egyptian people's reaction to such an operation.
The Egyptian official added that relations between Israel and Egypt remained tense in the aftermath of the deaths of Egyptian soldiers
last week during a firefight between the IDF and terrorists on the border between the two countries.
“We want a clear, strong apology and a pledge not to repeat such acts in the future,” he said, reiterating the Egyptian position
that statements of regret by Defense Minister Ehud Barak and President Shimon Peres over the deaths were not sufficient.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>