Iraqi troops crack down on Kirkuk to stop violence

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
October 8, 2006 03:59

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Thousands of Iraqi troops launched a crackdown in Kirkuk, ordering residents to stay in their homes in an effort to put down violence that has swelled in the north amid efforts to rein in bloodshed in Baghdad. On Saturday, authorities announced a curfew had been extended to round-the-clock "until further notice," ordering all residents off the streets, said Kirkuk police chief Lt. Gen. Sherko Shaker. "This operation comes as a measure to cleansing Kirkuk from weapons, as well as to prevent the militants from having any chance to reorganize their abilities," he said. "We shouldn't give them any chance to rest." The crackdown came as a suicide bomber rammed a police checkpoint with an explosives-packed car earlier in the day, killing 14 people in the town of Tal Afar.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

 From nuclear center, Netanyahu warns those threatening to destroy Israel (August 30, 2018).
September 20, 2018
Israel nuclear chief: We are upgrading defenses at Dimona reactor

By YVETTE J. DEANE