Lahoud refuses to endorse Hariri tribunal accord

By
December 9, 2006 17:21

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Lebanon's President Emile Lahoud declined on Saturday to endorse a draft accord sent to him by the Cabinet seeking to create a tribunal to try suspects in the killing of a former premier. Lahoud, a staunch ally of Syria, said the Cabinet that approved it has lost its constitutional legitimacy. The president had been expected to decline endorsing the agreement, sent to him Nov. 27. The accord would set up the UN-backed court to try the suspected assassins of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, who died in a massive truck bombing in February 2005. Lahoud, in a statement issued by his office, said he was returning the draft accord to Cabinet "for reviewing as soon as a constitutional and legitimate Cabinet is formed."

Related Content

August 17, 2018
German Jewish council urges end of Iran-Germany trade

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL