Rafik Hariri billboards 311 R.
(photo credit: Ali Hashisho / Reuters)
AMSTERDAM - The UN-backed Lebanon court ruled on Wednesday there is enough evidence for a trial over the killing of former Lebanese prime minister Rafik Hariri.
The Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) in The Hague issued arrest warrants in June for four men wanted over the assassination, but the full indictment was not made public.
Hezbollah hands over material for Hariri UN tribunal
Lebanon tribunal releases Hariri indictment details
So far none of the four men accused has been detained, though Lebanese authorities reported earlier this month measures taken to track them down.
The tribunal released their names, photographs and details last month in the hope of speeding up the arrests.
It named the suspects as Mustafa Amine Badreddine, a senior
Hezbollah figure and brother-in-law of slain Hezbollah commander Imad
Moughniyeh, as well as Salim Jamil Ayyash, Hussein Hassan Oneissi and
Assad Hassan Sabra.
Hezbollah, both a political movement and
guerrilla army, denies any role in the huge explosion in Beirut which
killed Hariri, a Sunni Muslim who served several terms as prime
minister, and 21 others, in February 2005.
Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, has dismissed the indictments as a failed
attempt to sow strife and bring down Lebanon's new Hezbollah-backed
government, and has said the authorities would never arrest members of
The tribunal said the Lebanese Prosecutor General had
submitted his report on Tuesday, adding that Lebanon's obligation "to
arrest, detain and transfer the accused continues."