Misrata under heavy bombardment, Libyan rebels say

Rebel spokesman says Gaddafi forces retreating from coastal city after siege of almost two months; rebels claim victory day before.

By REUTERS
April 24, 2011 14:37
1 minute read.
An MQ-1 Predator unmanned aircraft in Iraq.

Armed UAV predator drone 311. (photo credit: Courtesy of US Air Force)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

ALGIERS - The western Libyan city of Misrata came under heavy bombardment on Sunday by forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi, a rebel spokesman said.

Government forces had retreated in the coastal city of Misrata after a siege of nearly two months and rebels fighting to overthrow Gaddafi had claimed victory there on Saturday.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
NATO strikes near Gaddafi compound, Libya says 3 dead
US sends drones to Libya as battle rages
Ban urges Libya authorities to stop killing, seek ceasefire

"The situation is very dangerous," rebel spokesman Abdelsalam said by telephone from Misrata.

"Gaddafi's brigades started random bombardment in the early hours of this morning. The bombardment is still going on. They targeted the city center, mainly Tripoli Street, and three residential areas."

Click for full Jpost coverage of 

turmoil in the Middle East


He gave no indication of casualties in the bombardment. Hundreds of civilians have been killed in the fighting for Misrata.

The rebel spokesman said that NATO planes, which have been bombing Libyan positions for more than a month, had been seen flying over Misrata but there was no sign of air strikes.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Turkey Investigating Khashoggi Murder
October 21, 2018
The 'Khashoggi Affair': Little New Under The Saudi Arabian Sun

By CHARLES BYBELEZER/THE MEDIA LINE