Rights group: Syria releases 15 activists detained this week

By
December 12, 2007 19:37

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Syrian authorities have released 15 opposition activists who were detained earlier this week, a Syrian human rights group said Wednesday. The Syrian Human Rights Organization said in a statement sent to The Associated Press that authorities on Tuesday released 15 of 20 opposition activists who were summoned and detained earlier this week. The five others were still being held in custody, the group said. The rights organization welcomed the release of the detainees as a "positive step" and called on the authorities to free the others. The detainees were members of a group, called the "Damascus Declaration," which had held a conference on Dec. 1, the statement said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A general view of the attack during the military parade in Ahvaz, Iran, 2018
September 22, 2018
Dozens killed in Iran terror attack during military parade

By REUTERS, SAMUEL THROPE