Warrant issued for former Iraqi defense minister

An arrest warrant has been issued for a former Iraqi defense minister accused of corruption and abuse of power while working in Iraq's previous interi

By
October 10, 2005 21:22
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

An arrest warrant has been issued for a former Iraqi defense minister accused of corruption and abuse of power while working in Iraq's previous interim government, which was installed by the United States last year, an official said Monday. An attempt also was under way to strip the defendant, Hazem Shaalan, of the diplomatic immunity he now has against prosecution in such cases, the official said. Shaalan, who served in the interim government of former Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, has denied allegations regarding the disappearance and misappropriation of US$1 billion in defense procurement funds during his tenure.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
October 20, 2018
Trump comments after Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi died in consulate

By REUTERS/AZIZ EL YAAKOUBI/JEFF MASON/YARA BAYOUMY