Afula hospital saves man from deadly pond fish bacteria

Doctors saved the man’s foot, whose infection resulted from Vibrio vulnificus bacteria that thrive on pond fish.

By
October 28, 2013 04:51
2 minute read.
Shlomo Lankri in his bed at Emek Medical Center

Shlomo Lankri in his bed at Emek Medical Center 370. (photo credit: Courtesy Emek Medical Center)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A 64-year-old Upper Nazareth man almost lost his foot when he was “stabbed” by the bacteriainfected fins of a live tilapia (a.k.a. amnoon, musht and St. Peter’s fish) he had put in a bag after purchasing it to take home for dinner.

Emek Medical Center in Afula reported on Sunday that doctors had saved man’s foot, whose infection resulted from Vibrio vulnificus bacteria that thrive on pond fish.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Shlomo Lankri was discharged and sent home over the weekend after two months in the hospital that included two operations.

He had arrived at the hospital with a high fever and significant swelling and blood-filled blisters on his left foot. Tests showed he had a severe infection. His family told the doctors that a few hours earlier, Lankri bought tilapia fish in a store where he would shop fish once a week. When the live pond fish was put into a bag, it turned on him and scratched Lankri on the foot with his fins.

He did not take the injury seriously, but when he felt unwell, he was rushed by ambulance to the hospital.

Vibrio bacteria are very dangerous, and the Health Ministry from time to time – especially before the High Holy Days when fish consumption is very high – not to take home live pond fish or killed fish without the fishmonger first completely removing their scales and fins. Only frozen, cleaned fish are recommended.

Lankri was taken to the operating theater to remove dead tissue so the bacteria do not continue to spread through his body.



A week ago, Emek orthopedists and plastic surgeons transplanted healthy skin onto his foot, and it “took.” He will still have to undergo a long period of recovery.

Dr. Biviana Hazan, head of the infectious disease unit at the hospital, said the bacteria thrive in fish pond water and are virulent.

People who touch uncleaned fish and have open sores on their hands or feet can be infected; even the water, without the fish, can cause an infection, she added.

In recent years, a number of people had to undergo amputation of limbs as a result of Vibrio infection.

Without immediate care, the injury can be fatal.

Dr. Naiel Basharat and Prof. Raul Raz from Emek first described Vibrio in 1996. The microbes had not been known in Israel or anywhere else in the world until then.

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD