Bulgaria victim had just learned she was pregnant

Shriki and her husband Yitzhak of Rishon Lezion were among 154 Israelis who had flown to Bulgaria on vacation.

July 20, 2012 03:43
2 minute read.
Truck carries bus damaged in terrorist attack

Bugras Bus Bomb (370). (photo credit: Stoyan Nenov/ Reuters)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Before boarding a flight to Bulgaria on Wednesday, Kochava Shriki, 42, got a call from her doctor with the good news that after many unsuccessful attempts, she was finally pregnant.

As she stood in Ben-Gurion Airport, she called her sister, Yael Morad, to tell her how happy she was. She ended the conversation by stating, “I’m getting on the plane in five minutes.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

“Take care of yourself,” Morad responded.

Just one day later, Morad stood in the parking lot outside of Ben-Gurion’s Terminal 1, fairly certain that her sister was among the five Israelis killed when a suicide bomber boarded her bus outside the airport in Burgas, Bulgaria, on Wednesday afternoon.

Shriki and her husband Yitzhak of Rishon Lezion were among 154 Israelis who had flown there on vacation with the help of Israeli tourism company Kavei Hofsha (Vacation Lines), which also provided buses to transport them to their hotel.

On Thursday, Yitzhak flew back to Israel without his wife.

He was among the 33 wounded from the blast who landed around 2 p.m. on an IDF plane.

Click for full JPost coverage

More than a dozen ambulances with flashing red lights lined the service road by the terminal, waiting for the wounded.

Morad and another sister, Nurit Cohen, stood in tears by the ambulances so they could accompany Yitzhak to the Assaf Harofeh Medical Center in Tel Aviv.

As the vehicles drove away, they walked to their car, pausing to speak with reporters.

They told the story together, often speaking at the same time or finishing each other’s sentences.

Morad noted that she had two other siblings who were also out of the country, in Romania and Spain, and who were heading back to Israel Thursday after hearing the news.

“She went for a three-day vacation and is coming back in a coffin,” said Cohen through her tears.

Morad said that when her husband had first called to tell her about the explosion, she didn’t believe that her sister had been in the attack.

“I didn’t think it could be her.

I just spoke with her,” she said.

Then she spoke with Yitzhak from Bulgaria, who told her about the explosion. He said that the force of the blast had sent him flying and he had lost consciousness.

When he came to, he began looking for Kochava. Everyone assured him that she was alive, but that they simply did not know where she was. A number of times, he believed he had found her, only to have his hopes dashed.

He sent his wife’s family SMS updates of his search.

In one message, he wrote, “She is alive, but in critical care.”

Then he wrote, “She is alive, but in surgery.”

Morad said, “Until 4 a.m., we had a shred of hope that she was among the wounded. But then Israeli staff came, updated the lists, and we understood that the worst had happened.”

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night