Man uses internet to lure in, sexually assault minor

Court convicts 36-year-old man of sexually assaulting 13.5-year-old girl after using internet to trick her into coming to his home.

June 26, 2012 15:52
2 minute read.
Girl using laptop (illustrative)

Girl using laptop 370. (photo credit: Thinkstock/Imagebank)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A Tel Aviv District Court on Tuesday convicted a 36-year-old man of using Internet chat software to make contact with and sexually assault a 13-year-old girl.

According to the court’s findings, Moshe Sarnaga used a false identity, claimed he was only 24 and offered to spend a day with his victim, known only as Alef because of a gag order, at the beach in order to lure her to his home and sexually assault her.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The court decision states that Sarnaga met Alef at a mall on April 13, 2010, telling her he would drive her on his motorcycle to the beach. Instead Sarnaga stopped at his home near the beach and told Alef to come upstairs with him before the beach because he was thirsty.

Once in his home, the Court found that Sarnaga sexually assaulted Alef. The court also convicted Sarnaga of obstruction of justice in telling Alef not to tell anyone about what had occurred and instructing her about how to leave his home in a way that would not arouse suspicion.

The original indictment had alleged that Sarnaga had stripped Alef naked, attempted to rape her and forced her to commit sexual acts on him. The indictment had stated that Sarnaga was interrupted when he received a text message from the girl’s father threatening to send the police after Saranaga if the girl did not immediately make contact with her parents. At this point, Sarnaga released Alef.

Despite the initial charges of multiple counts of attempted rape and sodomy in the indictment, the court convicted Sarnaga of the lesser crimes of a single count of sexual assault with a minor under circumstances of rape and obstruction of justice.

Sarnaga disputed that he did anything wrong, claiming that everything had been consensual. Regarding Alef’s age, Sarnaga testified that he had no idea how old she was and that he had not lied about his age and had only used a different name, which many people innocently do on the Internet.


The court rejected Sarnaga’s version of events and accepted Alef’s version, particularly finding that his claimed ignorance that she was a minor was at best “willfully shutting his eyes” in the face of obvious facts, if not outright perjury.

Also, in his defense, besides the standard arguments, Sarnaga objected that Alef’s father had been highly aggressive in aiding and even interfering with the police’s investigation.

Sarnaga also pointed out that Alef’s father had deleted text and other electronic messages between Alef and Sarnaga which were relevant to the case.

While noting that some of Alef’s father’s conduct was questionable and that no evidence should have been deleted, the court ultimately found that none of the described conduct interfered with Sarnaga’s defense and that none of the deleted evidence would have helped him prove his innocence.

Finally, Sarnaga argued that Alef’s friends had not been properly investigated regarding what she told them about the incident.

The court concluded that any missing evidence regarding Alef’s friends was at best hearsay, and statements by persons who were not actually present during the incident had no direct knowledge that would change the court’s conclusions.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night