Massive fire rips through Ra'anana warehouse

Paramedics treat 7 for smoke inhalation, including 2 policemen; Police detain 3 workers on suspicion of negligence.

April 1, 2012 19:55
Fire at Ra'anana factory

Fire at Ra'anana factory 370. (photo credit: Courtesy / Israel Police)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Police detained three people on suspicion of negligence after a massive fire ripped through a Ra'anana warehouse in the city's industrial area on Sunday.

Police said the fire likely erupted at a storage area for paint, before spreading and reaching gas canisters, which subsequently exploded one after the other.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Heavy black smoke hung in the air and locals ran for cover during the incident. Some fell to the ground in their hurry to evacuate the area.

Paramedics treated seven people for smoke inhalation, including two policemen who were responding to the incident. None were seriously hurt.

Police sealed off the area to traffic and pedestrians.

Within a few hours, firefighters doused the flames and brought the fire under control.

Those detained were employees of the warehouse, a police spokesman said. "We still don't know what kind of warehouse this was," the spokesman added.

The entire area has been enveloped by heavy smoke. Police have blocked off the area.

Firefighters gained control of the blaze. Two adjacent buildings damaged, at risk of collapse.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night