Mother’s pin nearly punctures baby’s lungs

Doctors say one false move could have caused it to puncture his lung, endanger his life; surgeons in Emek Hospital in Afula pulled it out.

By
July 19, 2011 05:03
1 minute read.
pin

pin_311. (photo credit: Emek Medical Center)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A year-old boy inhaled a sharp 3.5-centimeter-long pin and was in serious danger until surgeons at Emek Medical Center in Afula managed to pull it out without damaging his lungs.

Last week, the parents noticed he was choking, but they had not seen him put any foreign object in his mouth. They took him to hospital, where doctors X-rayed the child and saw in his right lung a long, sharp pin whose other end had a “pearl-like” sphere.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The doctors said one false move could have caused it to puncture his lung and endanger his life.

Fortunately, the head of the pin was on the far side, allowing them to grab the sharp end and pull it towards the trachea and get it out. When it had been extracted, the mother recognized it as having been on one of her pieces of clothing that had apparently fallen to the floor, where the baby picked it up.

Dr. Yossi Segal from the ear nose and throat department said babies and toddlers suddenly discover a “new world” when they are more mobile and are curious.

“They investigate everything via their mouths. Parents to children of these ages must be aware all the time of the possibility of foreign objects and prevent life-threatening situations like this.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD