New Zealand earthquake 5 GALLERY 465.
(photo credit: AP Photo/New Zealand Herald, Mark Mitchell)
Friends of Ofer Mizrahi, the Israeli backpacker who was reportedly killed after an earthquake struck Christchurch, New Zealand earlier this week, said at a press conference Thursday morning that Mizrahi "definitely" died in the incident.
RELATED:NZ quake death toll at 98; 120 bodies stuck under rubble
One of his friends, Guy Jordan, said that if there was any doubt about Mizrahi's fate, then he wanted everyone to know "with certainty" that the backpacker was no longer alive.
Mizrahi's friends spoke following an emotional meeting with their families after having survived the quake and upon arriving back in Israel Thursday.
The backpacker's friends, who were traveling with him, had earlier informed his parents that he was killed when a boulder smashed into a car he was traveling in.
No official confirmation of Mizrahi's death has been released.
In related news, Christchurch mayor Bob Parker said that he doesn't
believe that there are survivors still trapped underneath the CTV
building, which collapsed in the city center during the quake, Army
Radio reported Thursday.
He added that the decision to stop
rescue efforts in Christchurch following the 6.3-magnitude earthquake,
that claimed the lives of at least 98 and has left 226 still missing,
was only temporary.