Owner of twice-bombed J'lem kiosk vows to continue

Brother-in-law first alerted police to suspicious package in terrorist attack; “Nothing will overcome us, tomorrow morning we’ll return to clean up."

March 23, 2011 21:39
2 minute read.
Jerusalem bus bombing, March 23, 2011.

Jerusalem bus bombing FOR GALLERY 521 1. (photo credit: Moshe Milner GPO)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

On December 25, 1994, Shimshon Moshe’s kiosk was torn apart by a blast from a suicide bomber standing at a bus stop, across from Jerusalem International Convention Center.

The bomb exploded prematurely, wounding 13 and killing the suicide bomber.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Netanyahu vows to act firmly against recent attacks
Peres: I have confidence in IDF to stop terror
1 dead, 39 injured in Jerusalem bus station bombing

Moshe survived the attack and rebuilt his kiosk, which does a brisk business selling sandwiches, drinks, and snacks to travelers heading out of the city. Tipping his hat to fate, he ironically renamed his kiosk “Pitzutz Shel Kiosk” or “Blast of a Kiosk.”

Seventeen years later, Moshe’s kiosk was again the center of a bus bombing in Jerusalem.

“I asked my brother-in law to take over for an hour or so while I went home to rest,” Moshe, 58, told The Jerusalem Post as he was closing the kiosk and finding shrapnel behind the counter. Moshe said he hadn’t been feeling well and that his brother-inlaw, David Amuyal, 52, often helped him out by allowing him to rest in the afternoons.

Just after 3 p.m., Amuyal noticed a suspicious bag underneath a public pay phone.

“He was trying to get people to move away from the area and he called the police at 100, and as he was talking to the police, it exploded,” said Moshe.

Amuyal is heard in an eery police recording, played on television stations on Wednesday night, warning of the impending terrorist attack.

“I am speaking from Pitzutz Shel Kiosk, Binyenei Ha’uma,” he says. “There’s a suspicious bag here at the bus stop.”

He is then interrupted by the sound of an explosion, and the police officer is heard saying, “Hello? Hello?” Amuyal was severely wounded and was brought to Hadassah-University Hospital, Ein Kerem, where he underwent surgery on Wednesday evening. He had internal bleeding and deep cuts on his legs from the shrapnel.

Moshe said that he often acted as a de facto security guard at the busy bus stops.

“There aren’t any policemen there, so if people see a suspicious package, who do they turn to? Us at the kiosk,” he said.

“We have a routine. [We] get the people away, call the police. We’re acting like policemen, but what can you do?” The kiosk sustained light damage in Wednesday’s attack. Moshe vowed to return to work Thursday morning.

“Nothing will overcome us.

Tomorrow morning we’ll return to clean and set up and do what we need to and return to work,” he said.

“This is our livelihood, and we’re not going to do anything different.

I’m not going to change the name, and I’m going to keep working there, and we’ll be there for another 30 years.”

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night