Prosecutors' strike stops Hanegbi corruption case

Police investigators angered as dangerous suspects are let go, due to prosecutors' refusal to appeal in court and indict them.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
December 19, 2010 20:40
1 minute read.
Kadima MK Tzahi Hanegbi in court, Nov. 9.

hanegbi at court_311. (photo credit: Marc Israel Sellem)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An ongoing strike by state prosecutors over working conditions - which has been in effect for over a month - is continuing to cause significant damage to police investigations, including that of former MK Tzahi Hanegbi. Anger is rising among police investigators who watch helplessly as suspects considered dangers to the public are let go.

Police sources have said that the strike is continuing to cause the release of dangerous alleged offenders, since state prosecutors are failing to show up in court to indict the suspects.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Court hearings canceled as government prosecutors strike
Prosecutors set to go on strike

Last week, Cmdr. Yoav Seglovitch said a total of 35 suspects - including alleged sexual offenders, violent offenders, suspects allged to have carried out robberies, dealt in drugs, and illegally possessed arms - have been let go as a result of the inablity to prosecute them, and the number has grown since.

In addition, the Prosecutor's organization rejected the request from the Jerusalem Attorney's Office to allow one of its lawyers to break the strike and work on Hanegbi's corruption case.

"The strike has been going on for a month, and has led to a severe and significant blow to the ability of law enforcement in Israel, as well as the safety and property of the general public," Seglovitch said.

As the strike continues, motivation among police ranks has been affected, as officers have seen their long investigations unravel with the release of suspects by courts.

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD