'Social-justice' protesters march for attack victims

Despite calls to cancel mass demonstrations, protest organizers say escalation in Gaza violence should not derail the movement.

By
August 20, 2011 23:47
3 minute read.
Housing protest candle vigil

housing protest 311. (photo credit: Ben Hartman)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Holding candles, light sticks, and torches, thousands marched in a candlelight vigil in Tel Aviv Saturday night, to mourn those who lost their lives in the combined terror attacks in the southern Negev on Thursday which left eight Israelis dead.

The march was organized by leaders of the social issues protest movement, and marked the first weekend since mid-July that the movement did not hold a mass demonstration. Following the attacks on Thursday, organizers, including the National Student Union announced that they would cancel all protest actions for Saturday night, but later relented to those in the movement who said that the escalation in the south should not completely derail the movement.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Protesters to hold silent vigil in Tel Aviv tomorrow night
'We want to improve lives, not make a revolution'

Organizers estimated the crowd at 25,000, though it appeared to be far smaller. While it had been billed as the “march of silence” and organizers called for political messages to be absent, there were some signs advocating social welfare issues, though the march lacked megaphone-led calls for “social justice” or the return of the welfare state. Shortly after the march began, a series of shoving matches broke out between protestors, after a small group of marchers carrying red flags began chanting anti-war slogans. Police quickly separated the two sides and the rest of the march took place without incident.

Hours before the march started, Hamas called off their truce with Israel following a series of IAF air raids on the Gaza Strip since Thursday that left over 12 Gazans dead. Later in the day, a Beersheba man was killed when a grad rocket struck his home. Several organizers at the vigil said that they felt that it presented an opportunity not only to show solidarity with the victims of the recent bloodshed, but also to send a message of peace as the body count threatened to climb in the coming days.

Assaf Levy, a participant who has been active in the moment since it began in Mid-July, said that Saturday’s vigil was “a turning point in our struggle. It’s presented an opportunity for the people to say that they want peace. Also, an opportunity to say that the people aren’t only against the economic system, but also the security and policy system in Israel. For decades we have been stuck in this circle of murder that never ends. We want to break this cycle and live in a Middle East that is different than the one we live in today.”

A participant named Noam, who came from the Levinsky Park tent city to take part in the vigil said “I am against the continued stupidity in which the people sit at home and are expected to just believe that everyone in the region hates you and wants you and your family dead and you have no choice but to accept this and be quiet. This is why I’m here, I can’t vouch for the rest of the people here.”

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


After making its way from the Rothschild tent city through central Tel Aviv, the vigil march ended at the Charles Clore park on the Tel Aviv seashore, where thousands gathered in a giant circle talking and singing songs until the late hours of the night.

When asked why he took part in the vigil, Tel Avivian Lior Arnan said “the march says two things; first, that we must always keep in mind the security issues we face, but also that we cannot forget about the social protest that is taking place., which is also very important. Maybe not on the same level, but still very important.”

When asked about calls to cancel the protests for this week in the wake of the escalation in the south, he said “if we’re always going to worry about just one thing [security] then we’ll never get anywhere. We can’t wait until there are no security threats to deal with the social issues. We’ve been waiting 63 years, we can’t wait anymore.”

Click for full JPost 
coverage

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD