Temple Mount briefly closed, nine arrested

Confrontations between Muslim and Jewish worshipers cause police to close the holy site for visitors 10 minutes early.

October 4, 2012 18:28
1 minute read.
Orthodox Jews look out Temple Mount

Orthodox Jews look out Temple Mount. (photo credit: Marc Israel Sellem)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Just two days after police arrested five people on the Temple Mount, confrontations again broke out between Muslim and Jewish worshipers, forcing police to briefly close the site to visitors on Thursday.

Police arrested nine people in two separate incidents. In the morning, police arrested five Arabs for attempted assault against a police officer and one Jew who refused to obey police orders.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

According to Jerusalem deputy police spokeswoman Shlomit Bajshi, a group of around 30 Muslim worshipers began chanting "Allalu Akbar" and began heading towards a group of Muslim worshipers with the intention of attacking them. Police immediately responded to the incident and separated the two groups, provoking a small fracas.

However, the Temple Mount was not closed to visitors at that time. When the Temple Mount opened for afternoon visiting hours at 12:30, police received word of possible confrontations and violence or stone throwing against Jewish worshipers. While conducting an intensive search of the Temple Mount, some Muslims began throwing stones at the police, though there were no injuries and no damage.

At the same time, police closed the area to visitors approximately ten minutes before the scheduled closing time at 1:30.

Three Jews who attempted to force their way onto the Temple Mount during the temporary closure were also arrested.

Five people, including Likud activist Moshe Feiglin, were arrested after a confrontation on the Temple Mount on Tuesday morning during Feiglin’s monthly trip to Judaism’s holiest site.

In Tuesday's incident, a group of Arabs began chanting "Allalu Akbar" and police immediately separated the groups of Jews and Arabs. Upon searching one of the Arabs, police discovered that he was carrying a concealed knife, which is illegal on the Temple Mount. Police arrested three Arabs for disturbing the peace, and one of them for also carrying an illegal weapon.

Security forces also arrested Feiglin and another Jew for praying, which is “in violation of the customs of the site,” according to Bajshi.

All of the suspects from Tuesday's confrontation were served with restraining orders prohibiting them from visiting the Temple Mount for 15 days. Feiglin refused to sign and was brought before the Jerusalem Magistrate's Court, where he was released without condition.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night