Temple Mount riot in Jerusalem: Two police officers lightly injured

Holy site closed to visitors until further security assessments made; stun grenades used to disperse rioters.

April 13, 2014 10:50
1 minute read.
Palestinian protesters react during clashes with police on the Temple Mount [file].

Palestinian protesters on Temple Mount 370. (photo credit: Ammar Awad/Reuters)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Two police officers sustained light injuries Sunday morning upon opening the Temple Mount’s Mughrabi Gate entrance for visitation, when a throng of Palestinians threw rocks and Molotov cocktails at them.

According to police, the violence began shortly before 8 a.m. when two petrol bombs and a barrage of rocks were hurled at the officers without provocation.

“Riot control units were promptly dispersed to the Temple Mount, where non-lethal stun grenades were used to disperse the rioters,” said Israel Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld shortly after the incident.

Rosenfeld said the two officers were treated at an area hospital, and have since been released. At least two arrests were made before the holy site was temporary closed down, he added.

“Security assessments were made following the incident and it was decided to limit visitation to prevent any further disruptions,” said Rosenfeld.

The contested holy site was opened later Sunday afternoon for restrictive visitation to avert more violence, he said.

Last month, Likud MK Moshe Feiglin and a group of right-wing activists were besieged by hundreds of Arab youths incensed by the politician’s visit to the Temple Mount, forcing police to remove him and his guests for their own safety.

In February, Feiglin initiated what may be the first Knesset hearing over reclaiming Jewish sovereignty of the site.

The frequently violent Arab response to Jewish visitation to the Temple Mount has a history dating back to when the Wakf Muslim religious trust was given oversight following the Six Day War in 1967.

Although the Supreme Court upheld Jewish prayer rights there, the court allows police to prevent any form of worship if it believes such activity will incite a “disturbance to public order.”

Right-wing and some mainstream Israeli politicians and activists continue to demand that the government assert control over the area and allow greater access to members of all religions.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night