Israel's world No. 1 bowler quits sport

The reason for Jeff Rabkin's suspension is being hushed up by the Lawn Bowls Association.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
April 13, 2007 01:17
2 minute read.
Israel's world No. 1 bowler quits sport

bowling ball 88 . (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Israel's Jeff Rabkin, who is the world's top lawn bowler, has been suspended from the Lawn Bowls Association of Israel (LBAI), and has stopped playing the sport, The Jerusalem Post has learned. Rabkin, who served as the LBAI secretary in charge of finances, declined to respond to an inquiry from the Post about why he had been dismissed. "I've got no comment," he said on Thursday. "It's all over." Israel's bowling community, numbering some 700 bowlers at eight clubs throughout the country, is abuzz with the story, but the reason for Rabkin's suspension has been hushed up by the association. LBAI president Ronnie Kaufman said the motive behind Rabkin's dismissal had been addressed by the steering committee of the bowling community, which had decided to resolve it internally. "The issue was brought up, discussed and handled by the bowling community," he said. "We had a meeting and there was an open discussion, and it was decided that the whole affair would be handled by the bowling community." "We decided to keep it within the family, if you like," Kaufman added. "Everyone knows about it," said one source, claiming that there had been an "apparent cover-up of the Rabkin affair by officials or colleagues of Rabkin." The Jerusalem Post received an anonymous fax that stated Rabkin had been suspended and apparently outlined why, but neither Rabkin nor any of the local and international lawn bowl officials contacted by the Post confirmed the reasons for the suspension. A spokesman for World Bowls in Scotland said that he had heard nothing of the Rabkin affair. "I don't even remotely know what you're talking about," he said. World Bowls currently ranks Rabkin at the top of its list of men's bowlers, and he was slated to represent Israel at the next World Bowls competition in New Zealand, scheduled for January 2008. Rabkin is a 49-year-old father of three who lives in Ra'anana. A bookkeeper by profession, he immigrated to Israel from South Africa in 1985. In an interview with the Post in February, Rabkin complained that his sporting accomplishments had not been acknowledged here, and that he couldn't afford to compete in all of the top international lawn bowls competitions. Rabkin said he and other world-class Israeli bowlers were not appreciated in their home country. "We don't get the respect we should," he said. "We don't get any recognition from the press [or] recognition from the government. I've got absolutely nothing for my achievements. I've got five medals at world-championship level and I got absolutely nothing. One year, I got NIS 2,000."

Related Content

dudi sela
August 31, 2014
Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov

By ALLON SINAI