Match-fixing scandal rocks Hap PT

According to the police representative in court, directors Sinai and Hatzor were also involved in paying off referees.

June 22, 2011 08:42
1 minute read.
Hapoel Petah Tikva and Betar Jerusalem, Saturday.

hapoel petah tikva_311. (photo credit: Asaf Kliger)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Rishon Lezion District Court extended the remand of Hapoel Petah Tikva directors Tomer Sinai and Gal Hatzor by five days on Tuesday, a day after they were first arrested in suspicion of match fixing.

According to the police representative in court, Sinai and Hatzor were also involved in paying off referees.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Management member Danny Levy, who was questioned on Monday, remains under house arrest.

“The Israel Football Association is closely following the investigation of the owners and directors of Hapoel Petah Tikva,” an press release read.

“We are being updated both by Wizman Yaar Investigations Company and by the law enforcement authorities. When there are criminal suspicions, the IFA is obliged to wait until the investigation’s final conclusion before it can act.”

As if having its bosses under arrest wasn’t bad enough, Petah Tikva’s future was cast into further doubt later Tuesday when the Israel Football Association High Court turned down the club’s appeal and gave it until August 10 to provide proof that Sinai and Hatzor are its lawful owners.

Sinai and Hatzor took control of the club in 2009, replacing Ronen Elad, but never officially registered as its owners with the IFA and the High Court could shut down the club or relegate it from the Premier League if its requests are not met by August 10.


Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

dudi sela
August 31, 2014
Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov