Shahar slinks out early in return to WTA hardcourt

Shahar Pe’er’s first match of new season didn’t bode well for 2013, with the Israeli being thrashed 6-1, 6-3.

January 1, 2013 03:26
1 minute read.
Shahar Peer

Shahar Peer 390. (photo credit: Reuters)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Shahar Pe’er’s first match of the new season didn’t bode well for the upcoming year, with the Israeli being thrashed 6-1, 6-3 in just 64 minutes by world No. 131 Elina Svitolina in the first round of the Shenzhen Open in China on Monday.

Pe’er (74) was playing her first WTA Tour match since the end of August after electing to sit out the final two months of last season due to a left leg injury. She was accurate on just 45 percent of her first serves, being broken six times by the 18-year-old Ukrainian, who earned her first career WTA main draw win.

Pe’er will hope to kick-start her season in Hobart next week ahead of the Australian Open, which gets underway on January 14.

Elsewhere, defending Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic suffered a bizarre injury scare after a faultless straight-sets victory over Italian Andreas Seppi at the Hopman Cup on Monday.

The world No.1 was signing autographs after the match when he hurt his leg as local fans pushed towards him.

Leaving his racquets and bag on the court, Djokovic limped straight up the tunnel to receive a medical assessment in the locker room.

The Serbian was unable to complete a television interview he had agreed to after his 6-3, 6-4 victory over Seppi.

His on-court performance had been less stressful as he defeated a plucky opponent who pushed him to the limit in a five-set thriller at the French Open this year.

Djokovic only arrived in Perth from Abu Dhabi late on Sunday night and admitted he was troubled by jet lag.

“I felt this morning that I was dreamwalking,” he said. “I broke the ice after the first set and started to feel better.”

Djokovic and Ana Ivanovic held an unassailable 2-0 lead in the tie against the Italian pairing of Seppi and Francesca Schiavone.

Ivanovic began the day by beating Schiavone 6-0, 6-4.

Djokovic is taking part in the roundrobin team event to be guaranteed at least three matches in his build-up to the Australian Open.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Related Content

dudi sela
August 31, 2014
Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov


Cookie Settings