Erekat: Recent outbreak in violence reminiscent of second intifada's early days

Palestinian official says that he is in contact with the international community discussing ways to prevent an escalation in violence and a possible ground incursion by Israeli forces.

Saeb Erekat
PLO Secretary-General Saeb Erekat said Sunday that the recent outbreak in violence in the West Bank and Jerusalem was ominously reminiscent of the early days of the second intifida, adding that the Palestinian Authority was in discussions with world leaders on  how to best contain the escalating violence snowballing into a bigger conflict between Israelis and Palestinians.
Speaking to Palestinian Radio Sunday morning,  Erekat said, "These events are reminiscent of September 2000... Experience shows us that Israel cannot prevent Palestinian freedom by forceful measures," Erekat said.
The senior Palestinian official added that "we are in touch with leaders in the Arab world and International community in order  to prevent Israel from expanding into a greater ground incursion."
Abbas threatens to stop abiding by Oslo Accords in UN speech
Erekat said that Palestinian leadership was waiting for Palestinian Authority President  Mahmoud Abbas to return back to the West Bank in order to implement "what (he) declared in his speech" to the UN.
Earlier this week, Abbas dropped his promised bombshell at the UN General Assembly when he threatened to stop abiding by the Oslo Accords, which have governed the relations and security cooperation between Israel and the Palestinians for more than two decades.
“Israel has destroyed the foundations upon which the political and security agreements are based,” Abbas said.
“We therefore declare that we cannot continue to be bound by these agreements and that Israel must assume all its responsibilities as an occupying power, because the status quo cannot continue," the PA president added.
Video of attack in Jerusalem
Erekat's comments came in the wake of recent violence that has raised tensions between Palestinians and Israelis, the last incident coming Sunday morning when an Israeli teenager was stabbed at a gas station near the Old City.
As a result, the Israeli government took steps to restrict access to the Old City in Jerusalem to only "residents, tourists, business owners and students."
A police spokeswoman said the victim was taken to hospital in moderate condition and that police"saw the terrorist holding a knife, shot and neutralized him."
Sunday's attack comes less than 12 hours after a Palestinian terrorist murdered two Jewish men and wounded a mother and her son in the Old City of Jerusalem in a stabbing and shooting spree Saturday night. The suspect was shot dead following the attack.
On Thursday night, a Palestinian gunman shot dead two Israeli parents in a shooting attack on their vehicle in Samaria, between Elon Moreh and Itamar. Four of their young children survived the attack without injury and were rescued by emergency responders from the bullet-ridden vehicle.
Reuters, Daniel K. Eisenbud, Lahav Harkov ,Yaakov Lappin, Danielle Ziri and Tovah Lazaroff contributed to this report.