Sheba Medical Center in Tel Aviv reported that a fire broke out in one of its wards, injuring two people, who are currently in mild and stable condition. Patients were quickly evacuated and firefighters gained control of the blaze.
Just before midnight on Monday, the fire started in a hospital room in the Internal Medicine Department, the hospital reported.
Investigators believe the source of the fire may have been a cigarette butt. Emergency services reacted quickly to the fire and all patients in the ward were immediately evacuated to other wards, the hospital said.
The ward was restored to functional condition and the patients were moved back after two hours. Two patients in the room were injured in the blaze. One patient was transferred in critical condition to the burns unit and the other patient, in mild condition, returned to the ward after the fire was extinguished, the hospital added.
Six first responders and 4 staff members, in light condition, required medical attention but were discharged from the hospital shortly after.