An attempt by a psychiatric patient at Hadassah University Medical Center in Jerusalem’s Ein Kerem to set himself alight was quashed, and no one was hurt on Wednesday morning. The patient, who suffered from orthopedic problems and was guarded while being hospitalize in the orthopedic department suddenly set himself afire.
The automatic safety and smoke alarms were triggered, alerting the guard who was watching the patient. Within a few minutes, all the necessary fire and security workers and medical staffers had arrived, put out the fire and treated the patient, who was not harmed. Some of the patients in the ward were evacuated until the smoke dissipated. The incident was over in 20 minutes.A preliminary investigation found that the patient had hidden a cigarette lighter under hi arm and lit the sheet and mattress.
Hospital director Dr. Yuval Weiss said that drills for such incidents are held regularly, allowing the staff to deal quickly and efficiently with the patient.