Martyrs Brigades claims stabbing

Ma'aleh Adumim man in serious but stable condition after Saturday attack.

wounded evacuated 298 (photo credit: AP [file])
wounded evacuated 298
(photo credit: AP [file])
The Aksa Martyrs Brigades accepted responsibility Sunday for the knife attack in which a man was stabbed three times and seriously wounded outside a geriatric facility in Ma'aleh Adumim on Saturday. A spokesman for the movement told a Palestinian news agency that the terrorist group planned to kidnap the man but fled the scene after failing in their attempts, Israel Radio reported. The victim, Sergei Karbachov, said he was attacked by two Arabs who then escaped. Israel Police sources said early Sunday that the attack was an act of terrorism. Karbachov is in serious but stable condition at Hadassa Ein Kerem hospital. The victim's wife said he had gone out to walk his Pinscher. The 45-year-old man was wounded in the abdomen, chest and shoulder, and was taken to Hadassah-University Hospital in Jerusalem's Ein Kerem, where he underwent surgery, a hospital spokeswoman said. Security forces searched for the assailants into early Sunday morning and had found a 30-cm. knife in the area. The dog returned home on his own, unharmed but without his owner. In an unrelated incident in Gush Etzion, two Palestinian teenagers carrying a homemade bomb were caught 500 meters from the entrance of Efrat on Saturday night. Security officials are seeking to determine whether the two planned to detonate the bomb inside the settlement or on Route 60, the Jerusalem-Hebron highway. The two were arrested by soldiers at an intersection near the settlement. Sappers were called to detonate the bomb, and the two were handed over to security officials for questioning. The Ma'aleh Adumim stabbing comes just two days after a Bethlehem resident tried to stab a policewoman at the Temple Mount. However, police restrained her and took her in for questioning. Two weeks ago, a man from a village near Nablus stabbed to death Kinneret Ben-Shalom, 53, and wounded four others in an attack on passengers of a minibus taxi service in Petah Tikva.