'Palestinians willing to accept new Egyptian truce proposal, but awaiting Israeli response'

AFP quotes senior Palestinian official as saying proposal would open crossings, allow aid, but leave disputed points for discussion in 1 month.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
August 25, 2014 14:05
1 minute read.
Sisi, Mashaal and Netanyahu

Sisi, Mashaal and Netanyahu. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Palestinians would be willing to accept a new Egyptian cease-fire proposal, but are awaiting an Israeli response, news agency AFP quoted a Palestinian official as saying on Monday.

"There is an idea for a temporary cease-fire that opens the crossings, allows aid and reconstruction material, and the disputed points will be discussed in a month," the senior Palestinian official told AFP in Cairo.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"We would be willing to accept this, but are waiting for the Israeli response to this proposal," he said.

AFP quoted an additional Palestinian official as saying that Egypt could invite all the sides to return to Cairo within the next 48 hours.

Israel has maintained that it will not hold negotiations of any kind while under fire. Dozens of rockets rained down on the Jewish state on Monday, mainly hitting the communities closest to the Gaza border.

Media reports early on Monday morning indicated that progress had been made in cease-fire talks in Cairo between Palestinians and Israel.

Palestinian news agency Ma'an reported that developments had been made that could clear the path for an agreement to be signed as soon as Monday morning.

According to Ma'an, Khaled al-Batsh
, an Islamic Jihad official said "a cease-fire is supposed to be signed within a few hours."



The deputy leader of the Islamic Jihad, Ziad Nakhleh, told Lebanese Al Mayadeen TV that "we have decided a zero-hour, and it will happen within a few hours."

Hamas official Osama Hamdan said "there has been positive and fast progress in cease-fire talks in the past few hours."

Related Content

Antonio Guterres‏
August 18, 2018
U.N. chief suggests options for 'improved Palestinian protection'

By REUTERS