DUBAI - Bahrain accused a prominent activist on Monday of fabricating images of a corpse on the Internet and summoned him for questioning in an ongoing crackdown following pro-democracy protests the state put down by force.
Nabeel Rajab, head of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights, said the photos of one of two men who died at a detention centre on Saturday showed he had been tortured. But the official Bahrain News Agency said the pictures were doctored.
"The deputy adviser for legal affairs at the interior ministry announced that Nabeel Rajab published false images on social media site Twitter of Ahmed Isa Sager," BNA said.
Opposition groups have said they suspect both prisoners died from torture in detention. Bahrain denies any torture but says all accusations will be investigated.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>