Chinese visit to US consulate an 'isolated incident'

By REUTERS
February 9, 2012 06:02

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BEIJING - The case of a Chinese official from the southwest city of Chongqing visiting a US consulate is an "isolated incident", a senior diplomat said on Thursday, as rumors spread that the official may have sought asylum at the consulate.

The diplomat, Vice Foreign Minister Cui Tiankai, said the incident would not affect a visit to the US by Vice President Xi Jinping to the United States next week.

"I said that this issue was resolved and was resolved quite smoothly," Cui said at a news briefing in Beijing ahead of Xi's trip.

In Washington, the US State Department confirmed that Wang had visited the Chengdu consulate earlier in the week, but said that he had left the premises on his own accord.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 16, 2018
Family members of Barkan terrorist indicted

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF