Egypt coroner says Port Said victims died of stampede

By JPOST.COM STAFF
May 9, 2012 17:59

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Most of the 73 deaths that occurred on the soccer field in Egypt's Port Said earlier this year likely happened as a result of suffocation and other injuries related to a stampede, Egypt's chief coroner Kamil Ihsan Georgi said Wednesday at a Cairo court hearing over the matter.

Georgi said none of the 73 victims who died February 1 at the coastal Port Said stadium had suffered surface wounds to their bodies, which would indicate bodily assault, according to Egypt's official Al-Ahram newspaper.

Family member's of the victims voiced opposition to the coroner's statements at the trial, shouting that some of the victims had been killed with "bladed weapons," according to the report.

Egyptians widely blamed Egypt's military rulers both for causing the panic at the stadium during a game between rival teams, and also for not providing adequate security to prevent the deadly scene from occurring.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 21, 2018
U.S. State Department thanks Germany for admitting former Nazi collaborator

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF