Egypt says church bomber linked to Muslim Brotherhood

By REUTERS
December 13, 2016 16:43

CAIRO - A suicide bomber who killed at least 25 people in Cairo's main cathedral on Sunday was a Muslim Brotherhood supporter who joined a militant cell while on the run from police, the Interior Ministry said.

In an interview with Reuters, the mother of the alleged bomber said he had been sexually abused in police custody in 2014, but she had seen no sign he had been radicalized.

At least 49 people were wounded when the bomb went off in a chapel adjoining St Mark's Cathedral, Cairo's largest church and seat of the Coptic Christian papacy.

The interior ministry named the attacker on Monday as Mahmoud Shafik Mohammed Mostafa, a 22-year-old student. President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said four people had been detained and two were on the run.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 24, 2018
Turks begin voting in presidential and parliamentary elections

By REUTERS