Egyptian soldiers battle protesters, three dead

By REUTERS
December 17, 2011 00:43

CAIRO - At least three people were killed and 257 wounded in Cairo on Friday as troops fought demonstrators in the worst violence since Egypt began its first free election in six decades.

In a pattern that has recurred during nine months of army rule since President Hosni Mubarak's overthrow in February, the confrontation swiftly grew as more people took to the streets.

The Health Ministry said three people had been killed and 257 wounded in the unrest in the city centre. A third died from gunshot wounds, a worker at a makeshift field hospital said.

Egypt's Dar al-Iftah, the body responsible for issuing fatwas (religious recommendations) said one of its top officials, Emad Effat, was killed during the violence, the state news agency MENA said.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 20, 2018
Turkey's Erdogan seeks votes in Bosnia after ban on campaigning elsewhere

By REUTERS