Egypt's former spy chief says he's not backed by army

By REUTERS
April 9, 2012 08:16

CAIRO - Hosni Mubarak's former intelligence chief said his bid for the presidency does not have the support of Egypt's military rulers and accused Islamists of sending him death threats, an Egyptian newspaper reported on Monday.

Omar Suleiman, 74, announced his candidacy on Friday and showed he still wields political clout by collecting around 72,000 signatures of eligible voters in one day, more than twice the 30,000 required. The deadline for submitting signatures was Sunday.

Suleiman's military background suggested to many that he had the backing of the ruling army council that took over from Mubarak in February last year.

"The supreme council has no relation, neither negatively nor positively, with my decision to join the race for the presidency," Suleiman said in an interview published in the state's Al-Akhbar newspaper on Monday.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 19, 2018
Libya's coast guard recovers five bodies from migrant boat

By REUTERS