Hit-and-run suspect faces harsher charge after victim dies

May 17, 2012 16:08


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A 23-year-old man indicted after a Haifa hit-and-run accident is to face additional charges after one of the victims died, the Haifa District Attorney announced on Thursday.

Moran Maron was originally charged earlier this month with abandoning an injured person and disrupting the investigation regarding the accident, in which an elderly woman and her daughter were injured.

The amended indictment charges Maron of causing death by negligence, which attracts a maximum three year prison term.

In a request to the court to add the new charge on Thursday, deputy Haifa district attorney Eran Bar On said that one of the two victims, 83-year-old Faina Feinzilberg, had died from her injuries in Haifa's Rambam hospital on Wednesday. Since the accident, Feinzilberg had been kept under deep sedation and was on a respirator, Bar On said.

The accident, which happened last month in central Haifa, caused shock particularly after Haifa police revealed the perpetrators had removed the license plates from their car in order to make it difficult to locate them.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 14, 2018
Demonstrators gather on Kerem Border Crossing in protest of cease-fire