Italy's foreign ministry came under cyber attack in 2016

By REUTERS
February 10, 2017 19:08
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ROME - Italy's foreign ministry was hacked last year, a source close to the department said on Friday, confirming a report in the Guardian newspaper which also said Russia was suspected of perpetrating the attack.

Last spring, hackers got into the system at the ministry, which was then headed by now-Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni, and the attacks carried on for more than four months but did not gain access to classified information, the paper said.

"The Italian government had already informed (the paper) of what it is reporting today," the source said in response to the article, noting that security had since been stepped up.

"These were not attacks on the encrypted computer system which carries the most important and sensitive information, but the email system for staff at the foreign ministry and embassies," the source said.

Gentiloni, who took over as premier in December, was not affected by the attack, the Guardian quoted a government official as saying. He avoided using email when he was serving as foreign minister, the paper said.

According to the Guardian, two people with knowledge of the attack said the Russian state was believed to have been behind it. The source close to the ministry could not confirm this.

Cyber crime has come into sharp focus since United States intelligence agencies accused Russia of interfering in last year's US election.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 23, 2018
Naftali Bennett responds to heated situation in the north and south

By JPOST.COM STAFF