Kuwaiti denies insulting Prophet on Twitter, lawyer says

By REUTERS
April 3, 2012 21:43

KUWAIT - A Kuwaiti man accused of insulting the Prophet Mohammad on Twitter has denied making any such comments, saying that his account must have been hacked, his lawyer said on Tuesday.

The Interior Ministry said last week that authorities had arrested a man on suspicion of defaming the Islamic faith and the Prophet, his companions and his wife on the messaging site.

The ministry did not name the man but said he was being held ahead of court proceedings. Lawyer Khaled al-Shatti confirmed the man being held was his client Hamad al-Naqi, from Kuwait's Shi'ite Muslim minority.

Dozens of Sunni activists protested last week to condemn Naqi, and some members of parliament have called for him to be executed. Several of Kuwait's main newspapers have run editorials condemning the alleged act.

"He denies all accusations," Shatti told Reuters. He quoted Naqi as telling authorities during an interrogation: "I am a Shi'ite Muslim. I cannot speak such words."


Related Content

Breaking news
May 26, 2018
Irish anti-abortion campaign concedes it has lost referendum

By REUTERS