Lebanese agree on funding deal for Hariri tribunal

By REUTERS
November 30, 2011 11:28

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BEIRUT - Lebanese politicians have agreed a deal to prevent the collapse of Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati's government over the funding of a UN-backed court investigating the 2005 killing of statesman Rafik al-Hariri, an official in Beirut said on Wednesday.

"An agreement has been reached for funding the court without having to put the matter to the cabinet or parliament," the official said, declining to be named. He said that the funding obligation of over $30 million would be paid through a separate mechanism.

Mikati came to power in January with backing from Hezbollah, which opposes funding the court. Last week, he threatened to resign if he could not reach a deal on funding the court.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
U.S. asks court to detain alleged Russian agent pending trial

By REUTERS