Libya militias agree ceasefire after deadly clashes

By REUTERS
March 28, 2012 17:31

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

TRIPOLI - Rival militias in the Libyan city of Sabha called a ceasefire on Wednesday after three days of clashes that killed nearly 50 people and highlighted the government's failure to restore law and order nationwide.

Ahmed Abdelqadir, a local council member in Sabha, said representatives from the Sabha and Tibu-dominated militias had held a meeting at which they had agreed to end the fighting. Trouble erupted on Sunday when the two groups had a falling out in a minor dispute over a car.

An Interior Ministry official said the army had sent 300 soldiers on Monday to help calm the situation. A further 300 troops were dispatched from Tripoli on Tuesday, he added.

The clashes highlighted the difficulties the government faces as it seeks to impose its authority across the country following the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi last year.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 15, 2018
Dozens of casualties reported after Taliban attack on Afghan base

By REUTERS