BRUSSELS - NATO said on Friday it was checking whether one of its air strikes in Libya mistakenly wounded at least 16 rebels and destroyed six of their combat trucks. Rebel spokesman Farag al-Moghraby said the incident took place near Ajdabiyah, a town about 180 km (113 miles) south of Benghazi, the base for opposition to long-time Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi.
"(It was most likely) a NATO air strike that had mistakenly hit that location," he told Reuters by telephone. "We are investigating where the air strike came from, whether it's NATO or Gaddafi forces."
He said no one was killed in the incident, but six rebel pickup trucks fitted with anti-aircraft guns had been destroyed.
NATO military spokesman Mike Bracken said the alliance was not currently in a position to confirm or deny the report as it did not have personnel on the ground in Libya.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>