NYC cancels Sunday marathon in wake of deadly storm

By REUTERS
November 2, 2012 23:59

NEW YORK - New York City has canceled its annual marathon, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said, as Sunday's race had become a lightning rod for residents frustrated by the disastrous aftermath of mega-storm Sandy.

Bloomberg said the race was being canceled because it had become a "source of controversy and division."

Critics on Friday ramped up opposition to the mayor's decision earlier in the week to go forward with the marathon, saying the race would divert critical police and other resources from people in need following the storm.

Some people had set up online petitions calling for runners to boycott the 26.2-mile competition, or to run backward from the starting line in protest.

The New York City marathon is one of the world's most popular sporting events and, according to pre-storm estimates, was expected to draw about 47,000 runners.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 22, 2018
Saudi women 'still enslaved', says activist as driving ban ends

By REUTERS