No charge for Zochrim memorial concert in J’lem

By JONAH MANDEL
May 9, 2011 03:57
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Zochrim (Remembering) organization and the Jerusalem Municipality decided not to charge for tickets to the memorial ceremony that took place on Sunday night, the eve of Remembrance Day, after a number of leading musicians slated to participate informed the organizers they were pulling out since entry was not free.

An joint announcement of the organization and municipality issued earlier on Sunday explained that thanks to funding provided by the city of Jerusalem, “the unique and important memorial event Zochrim is holding in the Sultan’s Pool, will be another of the other many city-hosted events that are free of charge. After Remembrance Day, whoever has already paid for a ticket will have a right to be reimbursed for it. This is in addition to the 1,000 tickets that have already been distributed to bereaved families for no charge.”

This is the sixth year Zochrim, which “deals with the commemoration and documentation of terror attacks in Israel and all over the world,” will hold such an event. In past years, smaller events – hosting some 3,000 participants – took place in locations such as the Jerusalem International Convention Center (Binyanei Ha’uma), and cover fees were charged. This year, organizers were hoping to draw 6,000 people.

When asked whether the musicians who canceled – such as Barry Sakharof, Amir Benayoun and Shuli Rand – would now perform, a spokesman for Zochrim said he did not know.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 21, 2018
Bahrain says stops issuing visas for Qatari nationals

By REUTERS