Obama assumes responsibility for Libya consulate attack

By REUTERS
October 17, 2012 04:34

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said on Tuesday he was "ultimately responsible" for the safety and security of the four Americans killed in last month's attack on the US diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya.

"I'm the president and I'm always responsible," Obama said during a high-stakes debate with Republican rival Mitt Romney at Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY just three weeks before Election Day.

The September 11 killings of the US ambassador and three colleagues in assaults on the consulate in Benghazi have become a flashpoint in the 2012 election campaign, with Republicans seizing on the issue to accuse Obama of failed leadership.

Obama repeated his vow to hunt down those behind the attack but he also slammed Romney for his early criticism of the administration's response before the full extent of the casualties was known.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 19, 2018
BREAKING: Drive-by Shooting in Tel Aviv

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF