Obama seeks reimprisonment for Lockerbie bomber

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
August 21, 2010 12:19
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Obama administration has asked that the only person convicted for the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 be returned to a Scottish prison.

John Brennan, President Barack Obama's counterterrorism adviser, told reporters accompanying the vacationing leader that the US has "expressed our strong conviction" to Scottish officials that Abdel Baset Al-Megrahi should not remain free. The comments came Friday, on the first anniversary of Al-Megrahi's release.

Brennan criticized what he termed the "unfortunate and inappropriate and wrong decision" to free him and added: "We've expressed our strong conviction that Al-Begrahi should serve out the remainder — the entirety — of his sentence in a Scottish prison."

Earlier in Washington, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton issued a statement that underscored the US position.

Similarly, Brennan said the US had "effective and productive discussions" with Libyan officials since the restoration of full diplomatic relations two years ago.

"We will use those diplomatic channels to convey our sentiments on a broad range of issues to include Mr. Al-Megrahi," said Brennan.

Al-Megrahi was ordered in 2001 to serve 27 years in prison for the bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland, but was freed on Aug. 20 of last year on compassionate grounds. He was said to suffer from cancer and had just months to live.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 25, 2018
Duterte foe arrested after Philippine court revives old rebellion charges

By REUTERS