Officials: Five Turkish police killed in PKK clash

March 21, 2012 19:49


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

DIYARBAKIR, Turkey - Five special force police officers were killed in clashes with Kurdish militants in a mountainous area in southeast Turkey on Wednesday amid heightened tensions in the region over Kurdish New Year celebrations.

Cobra attack helicopters fired on a suspected group of Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militants on Cudi mountain in Sirnak province. Other helicopters lowered special forces onto the mountain, security officials told Reuters.

Three soldiers were wounded, another security source said, but no further details were immediately available. Military reinforcements were sent to the area.

Separately, one police officer was wounded in a small explosion near offices of the ruling AK Party in Diyarbakir, the largest city in the mainly Kurdish southeast of the country, another security official said.

The violence occurred a day after Turkish police fired teargas and water cannon in clashes with thousands of Kurdish protesters gathered at unauthorized New Year celebrations across southeastern Turkey.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 23, 2018
Report: Palestinian teen killed by IDF fire in clashes near Bethlehem