Olmert, Halutz firmly defend Second Lebanon War

By
July 12, 2012 19:55

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Former prime minister Ehud Olmert and ex-IDF chief of staff Dan Halutz gave an passionate defense of the Second Lebanon War on Thursday, claiming that it contributed to bolstering Israel’s deterrence in the region.

Speaking just days after he was acquitted on major corruption charges, Olmert said that the 34-day war changed Israel’s strategic reality.

"It brought about a deterrence that had never previously existed on the Lebanese border," Olmert said.

Halutz said that if he was in the same position today as he was on July 12, 2006 he would urge the government again to go to war against Hezbollah.

“The decision to go to war was correct, justified and proper,” Halutz said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 23, 2018
U.S. envoy Haley rejects Iran blame over parade attack

By REUTERS