Olympic c'tee scraps congress in Eilat over rockets

By REUTERS
November 20, 2012 13:58

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Europe's national Olympic committees scrapped a congress they were due to hold in the Israeli city of Eilat next month because of fighting between Israeli forces and Gaza militants, an Israeli spokeswoman said on Tuesday.

Eilat, a southern resort city on the shores of the Red Sea, had been planning for the annual event for the past three years and a year ago was chosen to host it on December 7-8. It will now be held in Rome on the same dates, the spokeswoman said.

"Many delegates who were due to participate expressed concern at coming to Israel because rockets have been falling on the south of the country as far north as the Tel Aviv area," spokeswoman Bruria Bigman said.

International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge, Rio 2016 Olympics organizing committee president Carlos Nuzman and the London 2012 Games organizing committee head, Sebastian Coe, were to have been among the 400 participants in the event.

On Sunday, Eilat residents reported hearing an explosion but a police spokesman said that despite a sweep of the barren hills around the city, no initial evidence for what might have caused it had been found.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 15, 2018
Palestinian report: IDF shot at fishing boats near Gaza

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF