Oman jails six men for internet slander, activist says

By REUTERS
September 10, 2012 16:14

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

MUSCAT - An Omani court sentenced six people to jail terms ranging from a year to 18 months for slander over internet posts against the government that it called "abusive and provocative," an opposition activist present at the hearing said on Monday.

The verdict, issued on Sunday, was a further move by Oman to deter unrest inspired by Arab Spring revolts last year.

The six men were also accused of "violating information technology regulations" and were fined 1,000 rial ($2,600) each, the state news agency ONA reported. Rulings in other, similar cases are expected on Sept. 16, the agency added.

Activist Ahmed bin Said, who was present at the hearing, said the defendants had criticized the government for not making public the names of officials who are under corruption investigation.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 19, 2018
Evacuation of pro-Assad villages reportedly under way in northwest Syria

By REUTERS